Austin Child Support Lawyers

In the majority of child custody cases, one parent will be ordered to pay child support to the other parent. The state of Texas has statutory guidelines which provide a basic formula for the amount of child support to be paid by one parent to the other. This formula is based on the number of children involved and the paying parent’s net resources. However, the court has the ability to deviate from the guideline to go above or below the presumed amount for a variety of reasons.

Further legal action is often necessary on child support matters in the months or years following a court’s decision to set child support. If a parent fails to make payments, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to enforce the child support order. The potential penalties for failure to pay child support can be severe, including civil fines, criminal penalties and even jail time.

Change of Circumstances and Modifying Child Support

A parent can petition the court to modify the amount of support payments if there has been a significant change of circumstances since the court set the original support obligation. This is accomplished through a subsequent lawsuit to modify child support. There are a variety of situations which can be a “change of circumstances” necessary to modify an existing child support order. Modifications are very common in cases where the parent obligated to pay support has experienced a significant increase or decrease in their income.

At Thompson Salinas Londergan LLP, we have represented parents seeking above guideline support and parents defending against unreasonable or unworkable requests for high child support. We handle every stage of the child support process including post-divorce enforcements and modifications.

Our experienced team of family lawyers has the knowledge and experience to assist you in your child support dispute. If you have questions about a child support matter and would like to understand your options, contact us now.

Contact our office now to discuss your case or schedule a consultation by phone at (512) 201-4083 or email to